Thursday, February 6, 2014

Day 92 - Dance Places 1st in BOTH Kick and Jazz!

Today's post is from senior dance captain Ashley Woytcke

My name is Ashley Woytcke and I am currently a senior at MWHS and a second year captain of the Hawkettes dance team. Being apart of this team since I was in 8th grade has given me something to be very proud of. I have had the opportunity to do so many great things on this team and meet so many wonderful people in the process. There are many ups and downs on this team however, there is never a time where we just give up. If we don’t place the way we want to, we keep fighting. This year has been full of many 1st and 2nd place wins for both our jazz and kick dances but, sections was something we were going to have to really fight for. We went into sections this past weekend hoping to place somewhere in the top 3 to advance to the state tournament, but we never expected what would actually happened. We ended up placing 1st in both jazz and kick! We have never placed 1st in both dances at sections before and this was a huge accomplishment for our team. Going into sections everyone has high expectations and wants to make it to state, however not one girl on our team was expecting this and it made it an even better experience.

This year will be the 5th time I have been able to compete at the state tournament and I’m grateful to have this opportunity especially it being my senior year. Not many people get this opportunity and I wouldn’t get this chance without all the other girls on the team. We all push each other to become better dancers and that is the best part about our team. These girls have shown me how to never give up, even when its hard and if we didn’t have each other we would not have made it this far. The one quality I am most proud of is that we as a team are very humble. We never assume that we will just automatically make it to state because we have for the past 8 years. All year we strive to perfect our routines and continuously increase our scores. This year we worked especially hard to so that 23 girls would be able to dance at state and that is something we have accomplished as a team. Our motto this year has been to “dance as one and not an individual” and that is exactly what we have done. I am very proud of how close this team has become, I would consider every girl on the team part of my family. 


MWHS Hawkette Dance Team


If you have a story that you would like to share, please email mwhspride@277apps.org for more information! We would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment