Friday, December 20, 2013

Day 72 - A Proud DECA and Link Crew Leader

Today's post is from senior Matt Hejna

Often times I will hear the question asked “What is DECA?” and even as a fourth year DECA member, it’s difficult to describe. My ninth grade year I found myself asking that question while I was in DECA as well. However, I quickly realized the value DECA could bring in helping my future. I would strive to become more successful in the program. My ambition grew, and I wanted to become more involved in the program and signed up for a Public Relations event at the end of my 9th grade year.

The project started out largely unorganized, indecisive, and didn’t have a clear direction through the majority. The project centered around a shoe drive through an organization that gave $0.50 per pound of shoes donated. Since there was such a lack of focus and organization, it was difficult to determine where the money should go. Our group then thought of giving the money to a cause that would be close to the school. A cause that everyone would get behind. A cause that could truly make a difference in lives. The money collected would go to the Ronald McDonald House, in honor of Mr. Bulman’s son, who passed away from Neuroblastoma cancer.

Immediately after this cause was taken up, the project took on a whole new meaning. The upcoming competition at state seemed like a minor detail as the project was engulfed by this cause. And while I still anticipated success at the state level, there would be no victory.

Less than 24 hours after the defeat, I was revived by how unified the school was as we counted the shoes to discover how much money was raised for the Ronald McDonald House. I realized on that day that no matter the success in competition, the true victory came from making a difference. I can’t say that I’m the only person who reached out to help Mr. Bulman, but I can say his appreciation for the support remained ceaseless regardless.

Through the help and support of this school and community this project was made possible. From the generous donations by the Link Crew, to the endless support by the DECA advisors, this project was a success because of Mound Westonka High School. And I anticipate this trend will continue as students will continue to be changed by programs like DECA and Link Crew. For this reason I could not be prouder of being a student at Mound Westonka High School.

DECA Officers - Alex, Courtney, Matt & Willie

If you have a story that you would like to share, please email mwhspride@277apps.org for more information! We would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment