Monday, November 25, 2013

Day 55 - Proud to teach MWHS students on the stage

Today's post is from Math Teacher and Assistant Theatre Director Meagan Anderson

When I entered my first day of Kindergarten many years ago, my first assignment was to draw a picture of what I wanted to be when I grew up. The drawings were submitted to the local newspaper, and I remember being overjoyed when the picture I drew of myself as a dance teacher appeared on the front page. From that day on teaching has been the only profession I have envisioned for myself, and after five years at MWHS I can honestly say there is nowhere else I would rather teach!

I have had the opportunity to work with so many different types of students throughout my years as a White Hawk, and I am thankful for every last one of them. The group of students that I get to spend the most time with outside of the school day, however, are the theatre students that perform in the fall musical and spring play every year.

Serving as the assistant director and choreographer for the past nine MWHS shows has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my career and one of the aspects of my job that I love the most. Yes, I love that it allows me to continue to explore my passion for dancing and theatre. Yes, I love that I get to work and collaborate with other faculty and staff members who share that same passion, but producing and performing shows takes a tremendous amount of energy, dedication and hard work. The hours are long and at times feel neverending, but I wouldn’t change a minute of it.

I love working on shows at MWHS most because of the pride that I feel for every single student who performs a piece of my choreography, plays a note in the orchestra or moves a set piece on the stage. The amount of pride I feel watching a senior perform for the very last time after watching him or her grow and mature both on and off the stage is unparalleled. I am so thankful that I will once again get to watch the cast of the fall musical perform on the “Broadway” stage at the Orpheum Theatre in Minneapolis this spring because of their Outstanding Performance of a Musical. I could not be more proud of a group of MWHS White Hawks!


Ms. Anderson & the Copacabana Cast

No comments:

Post a Comment