Friday, October 11, 2013

Day 29 - Proud and Honored to be an MWHS Alum!

Today's post is from Katey Nelson, 2013 graduate of MWHS


To say that I am proud to be a MWHS graduate is an understatement. Just last May I was speaking at graduation, reminiscing on my incredible time at MWHS, while looking out to my classmates, teachers and staff who are not just friends, but family. Words can’t describe how amazing my experience at MWHS was, which so greatly prepared me for my future at Gustavus Adolphus College.

If you don’t know this already, I’ll tell you that the first week of college is all about meeting new people, and with that comes the “where did you go to high school?” question. Of course, I say, “I went to Mound Westonka High School” with a smile on my face knowing that my high school is one of the best out there.

As in most high schools, my teachers prepared me for college by teaching me how to write an acceptable five paragraph paper (always remember a thesis) and how to find the derivative of 2x3, but I learned so much more than that at MWHS. I learned to how to balance my time between school, friends and family, how to effectively communicate what I want, how to be a leader, and most importantly how to be myself. These are skills that will help me succeed in college, and my life after.

The close-knit and supportive community at MWHS is extremely unique and although I love college, every day I think about how great it would be to walk the halls of MWHS just one more time. Coming back for Homecoming this past weekend solidified how important the MWHS community is to me. The students, teachers, staff, and parents create an amazing community that is unmatched by any other school. I am proud and honored to be an MWHS alum!




No comments:

Post a Comment