Dear MWHS Students,
Welcome to a brand new year at Mound Westonka High School! I can’t think of a better way to start off the school year than to talk about how proud I am of each and every Westonka student, teacher and staff member.
As superintendent of this exceptional school district, I am constantly bursting with pride. The list of reasons to be proud of Westonka students and staff members goes on and on:
- Our district ranks among the top in the state on MCA tests. In 2013, students in grades 4, 5, 7 and 9 ranked #1 in Minnesota!
- U.S. News & World Report once again recognized MWHS as one of the top high schools in the country, awarding a Best High Schools Silver Award for 2013.
- Westonka was one of only 11 Minnesota districts named to the College Board’s 2012 AP® District Honor Roll. Westonka was recognized for increasing access to AP Exams while also increasing the percentage of students earning scores of 3 or higher (usually the minimum to earn college credit).
- Google Certified Teacher Sue Simonson will be sharing what she learned at this summer’s Google Teacher Academy with Westonka TILT, helping incorporate cutting-edge technology into Westonka classrooms.
- In May, MWHS’ own Alan Hiebert received the Best High School Teacher recognition from Lake Minnetonka Magazine.
- ZipRealty (http://www.ziprealty.com/blog/10-best-places-families-live) named Westonka the #1 Place for Families to live in the United States in 2013.
You give us so many reasons to celebrate, and we want each of you to take pride in your individual successes this year—whether that means improving your schoolwork, competing in White Hawks sports and activities or trying something for the first time.
My challenge to you this year is to not only celebrate your own success but to also help your peers take pride in their achievements.
Have a wonderful year!