Thursday, May 29, 2014

Day 163 of the blog - Pride in MWHS Fine Arts

Today's post is from senior fine arts student Shelby Stahl

When I look back on my experience at MWHS, I think about two programs that shaped me: Choir and Theatre. Two Mondays ago was our last choir concert of the year, and my last choir concert ever. I am not going to deny it, I shed a tear because I will truly miss choir. As President of Concert Choir, it was bittersweet for me to look at the faces of my fellow choir members. Some of these people I have been singing with since sixth grade, along with having Mrs. Larson as my choir director since sixth grade. I am so proud of this choir and all we have accomplished together. I love the happiness choir brings to me every day. I think it is special because there are no other classes in the school that you can have the same teacher, the same goal (to make music), and most of the same people in your class year after year. This choir family has grown over many years and it is so rewarding for us all to develop together and to support each other every step of the way.


The other program that I hold dear to my heart is the Theatre Department at MWHS. I am so lucky because many people in choir with me, I also get to consider as a part of my theatre family. It’s so heartwarming how we all like to be involved together, it’s what makes us as close as we are. This year we had an exceptional year doing the play The Odd Couple and the musical Copacabana. For Copacabana, we were involved in the Spotlight Program through Hennepin Theatre Trust. It is a program where judges are sent out to watch our show then give us feedback and ratings. This year we were honored with an Outstanding Overall Performance by the Cast of Copacabana. This gives us the opportunity to do a medley from our show at the Spotlight Showcase at the Orpheum Theatre on June 8th. 

I am beyond excited for this showcase because it’s like we get to do an encore of our show and it’s wonderful to all come together again and end the year like we started: working on songs and choreography we all love. In addition to this honor, we received an Honorable Mention for Overall Production and an Honorable Mention for Pit Orchestra. This is in addition to individual awards that were received such as an Outstanding Performance in a Lead Role by Abe Thaler, an Outstanding Performance Award in a Supporting Role by Shelby Stahl, along with Honorable Mention Performance awards for Nate Barnes, Shelby Smith, Haley Jordahl, and Zach Hoh. These individuals all have the opportunity to do medley performances with individuals from around the state at the showcase. I am so proud of the theatre department, not only for the awards, but the bond we create and the fun we share by putting on a production we all love.


Concert Choir

Back Row: Shelby, Kenzie, Liz, Mrs. Larson, Elijah & Matthew
Front Row: Rachel, Elle & Tom

Cast of Copacabana

If you have a story that you would like to share, please email mwhspride@277apps.org for more information! We would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment