Monday, March 3, 2014

Day 106 - Crunching the Numbers

Today's post is from former MWHS teacher and community member Mark Lee

I’m a numbers guy. I love budgets. I love data. I love Excel. If they made Numbers Cereal, I would eat it every morning – CRUNCH, CRUNCH, CRUNCH. Hey – I said I’m a numbers guy, not a comedian! But I’m also a man of true love, a deep faith, and tons of community/school pride. For a numbers guys, how are those things measured? How does one school claim they have more pride than another? Perhaps pride (just like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder? Assuming it is, here’s some MWHS pride through my eyes.

  • I’m proud of the DECA students who make it all the way to Internationals, but I’m also proud of the students who muster all the courage they have to do a mock interview at Districts, but don’t advance.
  • I’m proud of the students who lead their teams in the various clubs and activities at MWHS, but I’m also proud of the students who go to work every day after school because their family needs the money.
  • I’m proud of Student Senate students who organize huge community service activities, but I’m also proud of the student who stops to pick-up a piece of garbage in the hall when nobody is around.
  • I’m proud of our teachers/administrators who organize student celebrations, distinguished student breakfasts, homecoming activities, etc. They aren’t paid a cent – they do it because they care about kids.
  • I’m proud to be a White Hawk!
We’ve all heard the phrase it takes a village to raise a child. I’m proud to live in a village where I know the MWHS students who work with my own kids at adventure club, guide them at Sunday School, teach them swimming lessons, coach their t-ball teams, and even babysit them from time-to-time. I bet they don’t realize they are now part of the village that is raising the next generation.

From the eyes of this beholder, I’m bullish on MWHS Pride – Crunch on that!



If you have a story that you would like to share, please email mwhspride@277apps.org for more information! We would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment