Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Day 96 - Nordic Ski Team Adventures at Maplelag

Today's post is from 8th grader Laura Overbo

A few weeks ago, the MWHS Nordic Ski team spent the weekend at MapleLag. We drove six hours north to the Duluth area. I (and the rest of the first-timers) we extremely excited. Once we got there, we all got into our cabin-like rooms and turned in for the night. I felt really proud that night, just being there with the rest of my teammates. They really made me feel like I was a part of a team, and I’m very happy to be a part of such a tight-knit team. 

We did a lot of skiing!  The craziest skiing was when we went down a hill called Suicide Hill. You can imagine the impression that name made on me. As we skied about a half hour down a trail, we came to a sudden intersection, people squirming every which way. We noticed the steep drop about 20 feet away. People were also skiing down a homemade ramp! As I inched forward, someone from behind (a friend) pushed me down the hill. I sped down, wobbling (I’m not the steadiest skier yet…) down and over the ramp. I flew into the air and stuck the landing! Everyone was cheering me on!

I really love the coaches and they make me feel like I’ve accomplished something every day. Being on this team boosted my self-esteem. I’m also a bit sad that a lot of the girls are seniors, and I hope more join next year. This has definitely been one of my best experiences of my 8th grade year!


Laura and the Nordic Ski Team

Nordic Skiing Soccer

Relays

If you have a story that you would like to share, please email mwhspride@277apps.org for more information! We would love to hear from you!



No comments:

Post a Comment