Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Day 60 - Proud MWHS Alum

Today's post is from 2012 graduate Kaitlyn Tierney

After graduating from Mound Westonka High School in a class of fewer than 200 students, I now attend the University of Wisconsin Madison. Moving to a metropolitan area to be apart of a student body of over 30,000 may have been intimidating, but it wasn’t. I was excited for my new experience in college because of what I learned from my time at MWHS. My fellow classmates of 2012, my teachers, and my DECA advisors all taught me that I am capable of accomplishing what I set my mind to.

I am incredibly proud to be apart of the class of 2012; because of the way we genuinely respected and supported one another. A time of encouragement that stands out to me was fall of our senior year. One of our classmates needed to have brain surgery. His teammates and friends rallied around him and shaved their heads to match his. My classmates moved me because they helped our friend feel a little more at ease before facing a very daunting situation. Whether it was moments like this or the times we spent cheering under the Friday night-lights or giving standing ovations at DECA state or just a simple congrats as we passed one another in the hallway, our class believed in one another. This spirit among us helped me learn to believe in myself. My peers at MWHS are driven, wonderful people and I am proud to be 2012 alum.

MWHS has an outstanding faculty that is invested in their students. I was very involved in DECA during my time at MWHS, and the time I devoted to that program was worth every second. Although, I did not always accomplish what I set out to in DECA, my advisors taught me that failure does not define you, but it is how you deal with and learn from that failure that truly shapes character. They inspire me still today, to be the best version of myself.

As proud as I am to be a Badger, I will always cherish the days I proudly proclaimed, “It’s a great day to be a White Hawk!”


Val & Kaitlyn

If you have a story that you would like to share, please email mwhspride@277apps.org for more information!  We would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment