Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Day 57 - New teacher proud to call himself a White Hawk!

Today's post is from math teacher and NHS Advisor Matt Lenz

This school year marks my second full year as a teacher, and I have had the wonderful opportunity to start my career here at Mound Westonka High School. To be honest, when I first saw the job post for MWHS I had to look up where exactly the high school was. I grew up in the Southern Twin Cities area and knew my way from there to either of the downtown’s, but was largely unfamiliar with the West Metro area. Heck, it took me 22 years to figure out that 494 not only ran East/West, but eventually changed to North/South #mindblown. Anyway, I am getting away from my point here...I feel so fortunate to begin my career in a workplace with such wonderful staff and students.

When I first started Matt Sobiech was considered my official “mentor”. I could go to him for any questions or advice I needed. I quickly learned that Matt wasn’t my only mentor, but the entire staff was more than willing to help with anything I needed. The first few years for a teacher can be particularly busy and stressful (over 50% of teachers change their profession in the first 5 years), but the staff here at MWHS made my transition from college student to professional adult a lot easier than I previously thought. I really believe that I could not have found a better location for me to start my career, and am extremely proud to call myself a White Hawk for that.

Along with the staff, the students have been another reason I am proud to be a White Hawk. At the beginning of last year, I became an advisor for the MWHS Chapter of the National Honor Society with Crystal Gravelle. This gave me the opportunity to work with some of the most brightest, selfless, and nicest students that the community has to offer. I continue to be amazed by the way these students are already making a difference in the world as a junior or senior in high school! We have had many, many service opportunities where students have gone above and beyond to make someone elses day just a little bit better. Last year we spent countless hours raising money and volunteering at the Feed My Starving Children Mobile Cart event held at the high school. This year the students have done more than ever was expected to help support Crystal in her battle with cancer. I consider myself extremely lucky to work with such wonderful students, NHS or not, on a daily basis and am proud of these students every day.

I would like to thank the Mound Westonka community for supporting me as a new teacher and everything that goes with it. It makes me extremely proud to be a part of a great community and to call myself a White Hawk.


Matt and Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment