Friday, September 13, 2013

Day 9 - 20 years teaching at MWHS

Today's post is from Marc Doepner-Hove, teacher and parent in the Westonka District

This is my 20th year in education.  It is not lost on me that I have been

teaching at Mound Westonka High School longer than the students of MWHS
have been alive.  While students might say that I am old, I prefer to think
of myself as wiser through experience.  Yes, that sounds much better.
Worse than that, I am now reaching my mid-life years, not too much spin
you can put on that.

I don't just work in Westonka, I live here.  It would seem that from the

healthy supply of toilet paper left in my yard each September that many of
the students know that as well.  I also serve as a community coach, am a
member of the Northwest Tonka Lions, and am on the Board of Directors for
my church.  Many of my nights are filled with meetings of one sort or
activities of another.  I would not have it any other way.

The time, energy and passion you put into things says everything about who

you really are.  We can say all the nice things we want about ourselves and
our community, but what really matters are the resources (time, talent,
treasure) we put into something.  I don't just want to just exist in
Westonka, I it to be the best it can be.  Which means I want to do whatever
I can to help the community. I want my school to have the best test scores,
the best activities, the best community, and the best of anything else you
can come up with. And that means I have to commit myself to the task.  If
you have pride in what you do and how you do it, you find that it begins to
show in other parts of your life and your community.

That is what most people lose sight of when talking about things like

Westonka Pride.  Don't have pride in Westonka for the sake of Westonka.
Have pride in your school, because you have pride in yourself.  And if we
are all intentional and active about the pride we have in ourselves and
those around us, that will create greater pride for the community.


No comments:

Post a Comment