Saturday, September 28, 2013

Day 19 - Benefit For One Of Our Own

Today's post is from Crystal Gravelle, a math paraprofessional and NHS advisor at MWHS

What is MWHS Pride?!

Cheers, “Ms. Gravelle, Ms. Gravelle, Ms. Gravelle” ringing out from the stands. Tell me how this doesn’t SHOUT MWHS Pride!

I’m so humbled to be able to write today to share my deepest appreciation for the students, staff, and our community as a whole for being part of such a meaningful night last night. I never imagined I would ever hear the words, “you have cancer” only to find out a few days later it was Stage 4 Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.

Since my diagnosis in mid-July, I have felt tremendously uplifted and supported not only by the MWHS administration, my colleagues and friends but also by the students and community as a whole! So much of my strength during this battle has come from being able to maintain as close to a “normal” life as possible. Being able to walk through the doors at MWHS and be surrounded by caring and compassionate students and staff has made a great difference.

It’s not easy to walk into a night that’s all about you but last night there was a peace about it. A peace knowing that everyone in the gym was standing beside me, next to me, rallying me on this journey.

Through this battle, I’ve seen so much greatness! Our students and staff genuinely care! Our community, once again, has stepped in and made a tremendous difference with their outpouring of support and generous donations! Having grown up in this community, I’m not surprised by the outpouring of support. I only hope to have the opportunity to give back!

It’s hard to put into words today how truly grateful I am….It’s an easier fight with this army behind me! Thanks for being you Mound Westonka and thanks for being GREAT!

Proud to be a White Hawk!
Ms. Gravelle and her family

No comments:

Post a Comment