Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Day 47 - Appreciating a Guidance Counselor

Today's post is from junior Kelsea Kern


Mound Westonka High School is boiling over with exceptional teachers and staff alike, but there is one in particular that sticks out in my mind and translates into my life. Each student at MWHS is assigned a guidance counselor by last name and let’s just say that Kern was a very lucky last name to have. My guidance counselor is Ms. Baumann and in my 17 years I have never met a more helpful, selfless, and overall caring person.

She is always ready with great advice; whether I’m asking about what classes to sign up for, how to get that math grade WAY up, or if I need guidance with the big one: COLLEGE (which we are still trying to figure out), she always points me in the right direction. She knows a lot and she wants to help with whatever I need. It’s a great feeling knowing that there is someone with answers right at your fingertips, because let me tell you, in high school those aren’t always the easiest things to find.

Ms. Baumann always does her best to make time for you. Whether I have made an appointment a week in advance or I’ve bombarded her office because of a bad grade on a test that felt like the end of the world. She always makes the time to talk with you because that is what’s important to her. It is obvious that her first priority is to make sure her students are getting the help and guidance they need.

Now, the best thing about Ms. Baumann is that she really cares. It isn’t hard to tell that she genuinely wants you to be the best you that you can be. Ms. Baumann took the time to get to know me personally and now everything she tells me is really relevant in my life in particular. And at the same time I got to know her, and truth be told, she’s actually pretty cool! We’ve been known to stray from school topics and talk about some awesome TV shows, great music and just our daily lives. More than just a guidance counselor, Ms. Baumann is a great friend to have.

I couldn’t be prouder to be a part of a school that has such an exceptional woman, whom I admire so much, working for them. MWHS is lucky to have her and so am I. Staff like Ms. Baumann make me proud to be a Mound Westonka Whitehawk!

Ms. Baumann & Kelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment