Thursday, January 16, 2014

Day 81 - Becoming part of the great community in Mound

Today's post is from German foreign exchange student Lara Schulte

Hey! I’m Lara Schulte, one of the three german exchange student here at Mound Westonka. First of all, I just want to say thank you to the whole community here at Mound. Everybody here makes my year, and I can probably say that for the other guys too, a great experience. Since I got here, I learned a lot about the American Way of Life and also about myself. That makes me really proud and I love to say ‘I’m a White Hawk’.

What makes my year here so good, are for example the variety of activities and sports - even if we are a small school. So far, I was a Junior Varsity Volleyball player and I also participate in DECA. I am also going to join Lacrosse this spring.

The girls from my Volleyball team helped me a lot to find friends and to get used to living in the US. They showed me what it means to be a good team, no matter if you lose or win a game. That also includes our great coaches Ms. O’Gara and Ms. Palm. I really miss practice every day and I wish I could play next year, too. Sports are so much more intense here, students should really appreciate getting the chance to do extracurricular activities. It is great how team members automatically maks you one their buddies. We had a lot of fun together and it made me proud to get the ‘Volleyball White Hawk Award’ at the banquet. Thanks to all the girls!

I am also happy about joining DECA. DECA is so much more than only preparing for the district competitions. You get to know a bunch of people that are so interested in you. Even if it was a lot of work and took much time, the moment when they call your name for the state competitions feels amazing. Joining DECA made me a lot more confident than I was before. I am really excited to go to Minneapolis in March for the next competition. Mound Westonka's Business teachers Mrs. Simonson, Mrs. Lolich and Mr. Lee are great advisors and helped me a lot.

Those and a lot of different experiences make me proud to be part of the Westonka community. I really appreciate the students and the staff at school and I also want to say thank you to my host family, who made this year possible for me! Half of my year is almost over, the time goes by so fast. But I am glad I can take my experiences from here to Germany and teach them what is means to be a good school community.

Are you curious about being a foreign exchange? Make the world your home and visit http://www.yfu.org/.

Lara

If you have a story that you would like to share, please email mwhspride@277apps.org for more information! We would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment